[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4591: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Rockman Anime Music Video Station • View topic - The Ins And Outs of Vista
Your general average generic Chit Chat cafe. Talk about everyday issues, of the strange thing that happened when you stepped in the funny looking door.

Moderators: Admin Staff, Mod Staff

The Ins And Outs of Vista

Postby systemkrash » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:33 pm

systemkrash
You Got, New Pants!
You Got, New Pants!

Postby genericnumber1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Note, I use:
-Windows XP on my main computer
-I used to have Vista on another partition, but haven't put it back in after a format
-Ubuntu on my laptop
-Ubuntu on my development computer
-Windows 7 and another Ubuntu on virtual machines
So hopefully I'm not tooooo bias when I say this...

I feel the reason most people bashed Vista is because "It was the right thing to do"™ even if they never tried the operating system itself. It has issues, sure, but so did XP when it came out. People must remember that XP has had 3 service packs whereas in the beginning Vista had 0 (Now 1 - and it is incrementally better for it). That said, most of its driver and software support issues are being overcome, though it's certainly not at the same point as XP, and I don't expect it to be for a while.

Another issue people bring up is it can't run on older systems. When someone comes to me and say "Why can't my computer run Vista?!", I shrug and reply "It must be a Windows XP computer". If you got a computer 5 years ago, sure it won't run Vista, it's 5 years old! Don't get upset when legacy hardware can't handle new software. If your computer can't handle Vista, and hence very likely won't be able to handle Windows 7, you should get a totally new computer, not just more RAM and a better video card. Or, most likely, you should just stick with XP. There's no harm is using XP right now since it's supported until 2014.

Do I have a Vista CD? Yes. Do I use Vista? Not really. The only reason I would use Vista is for Direct X 10 and it's not worth the switch to me, especially with Windows 7 coming out within the next year (hopefully - the beta seems pretty solid).
genericnumber1
Maverick Hunter
Maverick Hunter

Previous

Return to General Chat