[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4591: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Rockman Anime Music Video Station • View topic - EXE OSS Tribute: Weapon of Light's Story
News that Covers Games, Anime, AMVs and More

Moderators: Admin Staff, Mod Staff

EXE OSS Tribute: Weapon of Light's Story

EXE OSS Tribute: Weapon of Light's Story

Postby XHunter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:03 am

The EXE series is something that I will always hold dear to me. Not only was it an excellent series, but it was something that I could play for hours on end without putting the game down. This small story is the history of Battle Network for me, Weapon of Light. Jack in! Megaman.EXE! Power up!

It all started one day when I recieved my Game Boy Advance, the original Game Boy Advance. It was a see through blue color that I really liked. I remember beating the Mario Kart game for the GBA and wanting a new game to play since I didn't have any other GBA games at that time. I asked my grandpa if he would take me to Gamestop and he said yes, just let me put on my shoes. As we were driving down the highway that led to the shopping center where Gamestop was, I remember thinking to myself "I only have thirty-five dollars, so I might be able to get two games instead of just one."

I walked into the store which was very crowded at the moment and looked around for the GBA games. The very first game I saw was Megaman Battle Network. I thought it looked stupid so I kept looking for another game to buy. Well after a little while passed by my grandpa was starting to get annoyed that we had been there already for about fifteen minutes. What can I say? When I shop for a game I make sure it is what I want. I came across Megaman Battle Network again and made the choice to buy it because it must play like the other Megaman games, and I very much liked them. I bought the game and we were on our way back home.

The very first thing I did when I got home was go to my room and grab my GBA and put in Megaman Battle Network. The title screen loaded as the music began to play. My first impression of the game was that the music was alright. I pressed start and selected new game as it all began. I expected the typical style of gameplay before I saw a kid sleeping in bed with a blinking device across the room. I was confused, because this was not the Megaman I knew. I read everything carefully in order to understand what in the world was going on.

Well after I did everything in Lan's house I went through the training lessons at his school. When I first saw Megaman in the EXE battlefield I was seriously going to take it back to Gamestop and trade it in. I thought it was stupid and I expected to be able to actually run back and forth instead of square to square. While I was waiting for my grandpa to take me back up to Gamestop I continued playing the game, trying to get the most out of it you know?

After I used the Cannon battle chip, I was hooked. I told my grandpa to forget about taking me and that I liked the game after all. When I think about it, I would have missed out on so much if I had of sold the game. As I entered the Net from Lan's computer I was actually confused on where to go. The very first version of the net was really confusing to me. But after half an hour of wandering around, I finally found my way. I also remember the very first time I was deleted... by none other than Stoneman! As the game continued I ran across some old faces that I recalled from the first Megaman games. Fireman, Elecman, Iceman and so on. I thought "Wow, this game has a lot of the old bosses in it."

I was impressed even further so I really started to play the game with every intent on finding all of the bosses and chips. Truth be told I never used a Program Advance until the time I battled Magicman. He was beating me and I was starting to get upset, because this was like the fourth time he was going to delete me. I remember selecting Sword, WideSword and LongSword together because I had used AreaSteal already. The screen went dark and I thought that it was broken. I looked away to get a drink as I heard a noise from the GBA. The battle was starting up so I hurried to put my drink down. As I looked at the screen I noticed that the chip name changed to LifeSword. I didn't know what that meant but it had a big 400 for the damage count. The second I used it on Magicman I was speechless.

The final boss of the game was extremely hard at first, since mostly everything is hard the first time around. The music is what got me though. It really got me in the mood to destroy the Life Virus and stop the evil Dr. Wily just to show up that jerk Chaud! He really got under my skin in the first two games. As I beat the Life Virus with only 40 HP... I was set. I beat a great game so I moved on to others.

----

When 2002 came around, I found out there was a second Megaman Battle Network while I was at Gamestop, stumbling across it again. I had to have it! I took it home and started to play it, instantly hating the training with the stupid Mets. After that was done I looked around to see that nothing really changed. The only thing that changed in the menu was Megaman's screen when you pressed A on his name. I was enjoying the game even though it was the same thing as thr first, just with a different story.

My thoughts changed when I encountered my first Style Change. My first Style Change was Wood Guts, and I was not that impressed by it. Later on I got Elec Shield, which I liked a lot more than Wood Guts. It was not that strong but it was rather "shocking" to the viruses and Navi's. As I continued through the game the tests for the ranks as a Official Net Battler became more difficult. The best ones were for the SSS Rank though. The best part of BN2 was when I first came across Bass. I was thinking wait, THE Bass from the classic series? It added so much more value to it for me. After I defeated the final boss I began to roam the Undernet area and sooner or later came across the WWW Area. The music there was awesome, so awesome that I just sat there many times just to listen to that song.

Of course as we all know, the last part of that area is where Bass is. It took me forever to beat the real Bass. But I finally got him, then learned that if I log out and come back Bass comes back in a second form just like all the others... yikes. Sooner or later I beat him and his final form, getting the BassV3 chip, which was like gold to me at that time.

Sometime between the release of BN2 and BN3 there was a local Megaman Battle Network 2 Tournament at the Malls Gamestop. In order to play in the tourney it was five bucks each, so I gladly paid that just to take part. At the time I had the highest level of Aqua Custom, which was my favorite of them all. If I remember correctly there was about twelve players there. Some of them were little kids, but a lot of them were older than me by at least a year or so, which at the time I was fifteen.

I beat the first guy who was older than me by a slim amount of HP. I barely beat him, just barely. The battles were fun, but heart stopping at some points. As I climbed my way up the ladder the opposition was fading away. It came to my very last battle, and my mom was excited that I made it as far as I did. Heck, I was excited. This was the first time that I actually went up against other players. As the final battle started, my heart sunk because the guy picked his Elec Guts to go against my Aqua Custom. Anyone knows that Elec does double to Aqua in Megaman Battle Network.

So at the start of that battle I was mainly dodging and avoiding his attacks, of course using some of my own battle chips and Navi Chips at the same time. It all came down to one moment, as he hit me with a Protoman chip that sent me all the way down to 80 HP. The turn was up and we went into our battlechip selection screen. I saw BassV3 just sitting there, asking me to use him. With such joy I accepted his offer. At the very start of the next round, I used BassV3, which the other guy instantly began to curse at me for using BassV3. I beat him because of that chip and he hated it. I won like fifty bucks and that was it. Oh, and I won four rare Navi chips centered around the Gospel Final boss with four different elements.

This is merely my opinion, but I worked very hard to get the BassV3 chip. In my eyes if you worked very hard for something like that, you deserve to use it whenever you want. Sadly... a few years after that my little sister deleted my game data on BN2 because she really didn't know what she was doing, and I couldn't blame her for it. But dang it, that was deleting all my hard work...

----

As soon as BN3 was released, I bought both versions, so very excited about continuing the game series. Blue is my favorite color, so I started off with Blue Version. The game was great, even the menu had changed! Everything changed in BN3! The look to the chips, the menu screen was different and the Navi Customizer was just awesome! The extra codes were just the icing on the cake! By memory I still remember my favorite extra code. SK13EO1M. If anyone can figure that one out before you read further or without checking gamefaqs or your copy of BN3, I'll be impressed.

After I beat BN3 I moved on to beat White Version. I made it halfway through the game before I met Gunner at a friends birthday party. The two of us hit it off really well and became friends. I introduced him to BN3 and he thought it was pretty cool. So I made the choice to give him White Version and I suggested that he start the game over from the start so he could practice. Now when I gave him that game, I had no idea about the difference in some of the special battle chips. Take DarkAura and Serenade for example. Blue Version had Dark Aura, which would only disappear with 300 damage dealt or a few turns passed by, and White Versions Serenade Navi Chip. The chips of Bass were different too. Blue Versions Bass dealt 550 damage with a ground smash attack from Bass. White Versions Bass was the normal Air Burst attack that did around 50 damage each, and did not shoot out as much as the previous games.

Despite those differences Gunner and I still Net Battled all the time. I used Aqua Custom most of the time, switching back and forth from Heat Shadow to Aqua Custom when my form would change. Gunner hated me in BN3 because I always used the reflect extra code for the Navi Customizer. Every single time he attacked with a powerful chip or Navi I would always seem to put up my reflect shield and be completely safe. It also didn't help him at the fact tha everytime the reflect shield was hit, it dealt 100 damage to him if he was standing in the same row. I never used HP+ to get more of an HP advantage, there was no challenge in that. Everytime Gunner would come over we stayed up all night playing BN3, helping each other get certain battle chips and trading to each other for that reason. Those are days that I wish I could go back to... I believe my record against Gunner was 368 to 58 before we got BN4. BN3 was also the very first game that I beat 100%. Stupid virus battles that you can't control...

----

I was also happy that there was going to be a Megaman Battle Network for the GameCube. When I got it and started to play it I was somewhat impressed with it, although I really do dislike cell shading. The game was solid and I enjoyed the classic style of Megaman in the BN form. I also got a really big kick out of it when I let Gunner borrow it... he couldn't get past Fireman in the first boss fight.

----

In 2004 Gunner bought me Megaman Battle Network 4 Blue Moon, along with a brand new Game Boy Advance SP, a nice slick black one too. He bought Megaman Battle Network 4 Red Sun as well as a red GBA SP for himself. The whole reason he bought me the game was because he lost a bet to me. It was over the Spider-Man movie. We were talking about the Green Goblin. For some reason, Gunner thought that the Hob Goblin, became the Green Goblin later, which was not true at all. So knowing this and taking advantage of that I said "Alright, if I am wrong I will buy you a new game, but if I am right you will buy me a new game."

Of course he agreed and we proceeded to ask our other friends about it. The bet only lasted five minutes before Gunner was cursing up a storm and I was laughing. Hey, I just won a free game. The GBA SP was a bonus he offered. BN4 was another game that Gunner and myself stayed up all night helping each other with battle chips. I bought the official strategy guide so the two of us had a blast helping each other with the game. Our Net Battles were fun too. I had just about the same record against him in this game compared to BN3. My favorite Soul Unison was Junk Soul, followed by Proto Soul. Gunner's was Search Soul and Roll Soul.

However there was one night that he and I were playing before going to sleep, and he was mopping the floor with me. Of course, I wasn't liking that at all. Gunner was half asleep and he was kicking the **** out of me! I could barely land a hit, barely move, he got all the counters, all of the good chips... Let's just say that he still holds that over me.

Junk Soul was my favorite because I could select used chips, even chips that my enemy has used! You have no idea how ticked off Gunner would be when I would use his Red Sun chip against him. I used Proto Soul for the sword type chips, which there was a lot of them that I used. BN4 was also the time that I learned how to use the Variable Swords correctly with the button codes. Gunner liked to use Search Soul because it would hit me very often and Roll Soul so he could heal very often. But the best moments in BN4 was when I used Area Steal to corner Gunner in the back, and slowly hit him with Metal Soul's charged attack. Priceless.

I actually liked the fact that when you beat the game the first time, you had to go back through again to get more Soul Unison's and the game was more difficult. On the first run through Aqua Soul was my first. After beating everything and collecting everything there was just one thing left to do... defeat Duo SP. At that time, Duo SP was the hardest thing in the world... Gunner and I both had a hard time beating him, but it was worth it.

----

Again, at the same time Gunner and I bought Megaman Battle Network 5. I bought Team Protoman while he bought Team Colonel. The game was a huge improvement to BN4 to be honest, and you didn't have to play through the game three times to get all Soul Unison's. Although I did not really like the Liberation Missions. It was cool playing as the different Navi's, but overall not that fun, even more so with the last set of Liberation Missions.

BN5 was also the first to introduce Chaos Unison's. That was really great too, since I used every single Soul Unison in that game. I loved each and every one of them. My favorite of the Chaos Unison's however was Search, Blues and Napalm. If you used Area Steal twice and charged your attack with Chaos Search and hit correctly, you just dealt 900 damage. Which... Gunner hated the fact that I got Search and he didn't, because Searchman is his favorite Navi of all time.

As soon as I heard that you were able to use BassCrossMegaman in the DS version I did everything I could to get 100% in the GBA version.

----

Gunner bought me a DS along with Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team. He bought himself the same thing as we started to play. From BN4 and up, he and I battled each other as soon as we started the game. Then never battled again until we reached the halfway point. After we beat the game we battled all we wanted, it was our tradition and we held true to that every game. This time was very different though, because we both had our own BassCrossMegaman. I used Gold while he used Silver.

The game was a whole lot easier with the Charged Spread Buster attack, just as it was with the Hell Rolling attack for Silver. Another tradition that we held true to was helping each other with battle chips, which we did everytime we stayed the night at the others house. I really do miss those days.

I was not too thrilled with the voice acting in the DS version though... the voices really didn't fit any of them... I think out of all of them Megaman was the best, and that is not saying too much.

Around the time that BN6 was going to be released, I sent my BN5: Double Team, BN4 Blue Moon and the strategy guides along with them to XHunter as a gift since he did not have them. Gunner sent his Red Sun along with my stuff as well.

----

Megaman Battle Network 6... ahhh... the Beast Outs... the Soul Cross system... good times. I bought Gregar version while Gunner bought Falzer. The tradition continued on as we followed the same path as before. BN6 was a really great game, but still left me wanting more. My favorite thing to do was use the ColonelForce Giga chip and beast out at the same time. That is a very deadly combo and I normally deleted Gunner after that move. He calls it cheap, but as I said before... if I worked hard to obtain it, I deserve to use it whenever I want.

Charge Cross was my favorite in BN6, because when you unleash the charge attack, you can't be hurt and after every turn you get more battle chip slots. Slash Cross was my second favorite because I used a lot of sword chips, mainly to get rid of Gunner's Aura. Elec Cross was my third choice just because it looked cool. I never really used the other two unless I used the Beast Out.

When I used Beast Out I picked Heat Beast, Killer Beast and Slash Beast. They were my favorite Beast Outs.

----

All in all, if I hadn't of picked up the first Megaman Battle Network game back in 2001, chances are I would not be writing this short story right now and remembering all of the great times I had with the game and all of the times Gunner and I sat down to play it together. The Megaman Battle Network series is truly something that I will never forget. I would not have joined the EXE HQ, which means I would not have met XHunter, a truly great friend to me... not to mention an extremely patient one. If I had not of met XHunter I would not have met any of you here at the AMV Station.

So from the bottom of my heart I say thank you. Not only to Capcom for an amazing game series, but thank you to the fans and the people that play the Megaman Battle Network games, which led Capcom to believe it was worth continuing.

Thank you my friends.

~Weapon of Light~
XHunter
San wa iranai!
San wa iranai!

Return to RM AMV Station News