[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4591: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Rockman Anime Music Video Station • View topic - Temporally Down.
News that Covers Games, Anime, AMVs and More

Moderators: Admin Staff, Mod Staff

Temporally Down.

Temporally Down.

Postby XHunter » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:45 am

Ok, so most of you know that the site was down on July 1st, fortunately I managed to get the site back up and running. The cause for the sites temporary suspension was due to "heavy" amount of downloads coming from this site. To better understand the situation, you have to understand that we are being hosted on Shared Server. This means that his site and several others all share the same server. Powweb runs a balanced server bandwidth program that monitor all the sites on the server making sure that one site doesn't get move bandwidth usage then the others. What happened in the case of July 1st was that this site was using a lot of server memory causing the other sites to run a bit slow. This is a problem that is bound to happen with most "Shard Server" plans. There are two ways you can solve this problem.

The first is to purchase a month dedicated server that your site has to itself. The only problem with this is that a dedicated sever costs from $69.99 USD to $129.99 USD a month which can get pretty expensive when you multiple the cost by the number of months in a year (BTW that number is 12 >.>) The second way is to have a script that monitors your websites download files and provents to many download requests at a time. I believe most of you have visited a site that told you that the server was busy and to come back within 5mins to try your download again, or have seen a server that has you wait in line until an available slot is open for you to download. The second option is something I'm looking into because I really hate it when this site gets temp shut down. I mean, you think its annoying not being able to visit the forum and check out the stuff on the site, try having something you worked really hard on suspended because of a massive amount of people making requests for files at one time. lawl.

And just for laughs, I thought it would be funny to share with you a list of the files that everyone was request for download which caused the site to get temp shut down.

62 /files/game%20movies/rockman%20x4/X4%20-%20Zeros%20Past.zip
67 /files/music%20videos/RockmanX-State%20Of%20Divinity.zip
92 /files/music%20videos/Lok%20-%20Dark%20Friendship.zip

The number before the file extension was something that the Powweb tech gave me. I believe its the number of requests that file had at one time. lol so 92 people were all trying to get Lok's Dark Friendship AMV O.o?

Also according to my "Web Statistics" RockmanX-State Of Divinity.zip was Viewed 600 times with an Average size of 274.20 KB while Lok - Dark Friendship.zip was Viewed 357 times with an Average size of 277.91 KB I don't know if people are trying to raise their download count or if a group of kids from a summer school decided to download those videos onto every one of the schools computers (Laughs) that would be kind of funny wouldn't it.
XHunter
San wa iranai!
San wa iranai!

Postby Daisy_Dyme » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:04 am

So it were random people who got the site down? Fun :?

I'd put a script in with a 5 minute waiting limit, or a 5-download a day limit. A private server sounds great but it has it's not problem free, and like you said it can get very expensive. Let's say in 3 years the site goes down 2 more times, that's acceptable right? It's not a weekly problem (yet).
[/color]
[/color]
Daisy_Dyme
Pink Fox
Pink Fox

Return to RM AMV Station News